SEO... What is it?
SEO explained. Well, its a term that is thrown around by web designers all the time but the question is do you actually know what it is and what it does?
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimisation - which in basic terms helps improve the content of your website with the view to increase the number of people visiting your website. Web designers often use terms like SERP's when talking about SEO, by saying that managing your SEO will lead to higher listings in SERP.
SERP's are Search Engine Results Page, This is where your website will be listed in an organic search. Now an organic search is not searching for wonky fresh veg or hand-grown potatoes.
Organic search results are produced when you are listed based on page rank and are not affected by paid or sponsored searches.
Having a professional help you get the most from your website by managing your SEO can really help your business, but if you want to have a go yourself we have a few tips for you about SEO and your website content.
Top Tips for your website SEO
- Write like your talking to a human - Google love you to be passive with your content
- Your content needs to be engaging to stand out from the crowd
- Make sure your Meta descriptions are clear and accurate
- Use relevant page titles and headings within your pages, include sub-headings in your content too
- Keep your website content up to date, the fresher the content the more your listed as an active website.
- Don't hide keywords within the page in different colour fonts - Google knows what you're trying to do!
- Don't steal content from others - be unique and fresh, reference others but don't copy it!
- Don't be keyword mad! You won't rank higher by using the word 300 times in a sentence!
- Don't use ad's in your content, no one likes them and it doesn't make you look credible. You can come across spammy.
Just a few facts to throw at you about SEO!
- Websites that appear on the 1st page get 91.5% of Google Traffic
- Overfilling your website with keywords will get you penalised by Google Panda
- SEO is the main driver for organic searches generating as much as 51% of the traffic in the B2b market
- 75% of people disregard paid adverts and would rather click on an organic search
- Over 80% of users don't scroll past the first page of searches.
- 4 out of 5 consumers use search engines to find local services
- Google handles 3.8 million searches per minute worldwide
- 30% of all mobile searches are location-related
With those facts it is easy to see why SEO and content marketing are so important to small businesses, and why it's so important that you get it right. Have you thought about if you are working on your website or is your website working for you and generating you new business?
Ensuring that your website works for you is so important for small businesses and people who DIY their websites, with small simple steps you can take to push your website forward, it can make such a difference to your conversion rate. Over the coming weeks, we will be realising lots of top tips about how to help get the most from your website.
If you feel you would like to talk to someone about how we could help your business, or have a look at your website to see if we can improve how it works for your business get in touch today and have a chat with a member of our team on email@example.com or call 01691 882030